Pages

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Day 72: Emotional Intelligence For Business Leaders Workshop

After attending the Emotional Intelligence For Business Leaders workshop today, I truly believe that Emotional Intelligence, otherwise known as "EQ", is something that every business person should learn more about. In fact, they should make it a mandatory class for all business students.

EQ is the ability to manage our emotions and our relationships with others. If you think about it, emotions play a huge part in whether or not a business is successful. We have to deal with people regardless of what our title or position is, so being able to manage those relationships and how you react to other people's actions or how you interact with people is key. This ties in with communication as well.

One of the interesting statistics that I learned from this workshop is that according to Talent Smart, 90% of top performers have high EQ and make about $29K more per year tan those with low EQ. This makes alot of sense because if you are a good people person and understand how to manage relationships with clients/customers, then people will be more likely to continue doing business with you.

Here's an infographic I found that illustrates more statistics...

10 astonishing facts on EQ
Explore more infographics like this one on the web's largest information design community - Visually.

For this workshop the four key areas of Emotional Intelligence I learned about are:
  • Self-Awareness
  • Self-Management
  • Social Awareness
  • Relationship Management
One area of EQ that I would like to work on is relationship management. I'm creating an intention to set aside more time to nurture my personal and business relationships. Part of my "strategy" is to send out more handwritten Thank You cards like I did as one of my "firsts" recently and to have more face-to-face meetings with people as opposed to communicating via social media, text, or email.

This workshop I attended was taught by Maureen Orey of Workplace Learning and Performance Group who is a client and friend. I love her workshops because they're very interactive and I always walk away learning something new even if it's a topic I'm very familiar with. If you're a business owner or executive in San Diego, check out Maureen's upcoming events and workshops!

1 comment:

  1. Super cool! Attended Choice Center in Vegas for a similar program.

    ReplyDelete