Pages

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Day 80: No Phone

Old Motorola phone from the 90's
This is what my first cell phone looked like
It's amazing how technology has changed so much in the past 20 years. Exactly how did we survive without the Internet and cell phones?

In the 80's if you wanted to get in touch with someone, you would just keep calling them hoping to catch them at home. In the early 90's people walked around with beepers. Someone would beep you and then you would have to find a pay phone to call them back. We also had answering machines with caller ID devices, which was a big thing because now you knew who was calling and could screen your calls.

Nowadays, it's so much easier to get in touch with someone because everyone walks around with their cell phone glued to their hand. Going without a phone for one day was not as hard as I thought it was going to be. There were a few calls that did come in, but I wasn't itching to check my phone. The challenge came more when I wanted to make an outgoing call. I almost went online to use my Google Voice account, but that would have been cheating.

When I go on my next vacation, I think I will try going the whole week without a phone. Now that will be a real challenge!

1 comment: