Pages

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Day 77: Inside the U.S. Grant Hotel


I lived in downtown San Diego for four years and passed the U.S. Grant Hotel so many times on my way to Horton Plaza mall or walking around. The outside of the hotel has a very commanding presence about it. You just know the inside will be luxurious.


The U.S. Grant hotel is named after President Ulysses S. Grant and first opened its doors in 1910. As you can imagine, it has a very long and interesting history that you can read about here. Can you imagine being able to purchase a property of this magnitude for $56,000? Of course that was a great deal of money back then. I would love to go back in time and buy real estate! Nowadays you can expect to pay at least $219-$3,570 per night for a room in this hotel.


I attended a San Diego Chamber of Commerce mixer which was hosted by the hotel, so I finally was able to see the inside. It did not disappoint. A mix of old and new luxury details created a nostalgic, yet classic and modern interior. The ambience was relaxed despite its prestigious exterior, which was to be expected since it is San Diego.



The food at the mixer was absolutely delicious. It was all hors d'oeuvres, plus a gorgeous display of chocolate covered strawberries and cupcakes. I had a glass a wine and half a beer, so I was definitely relaxed, and probably chatted way too much. I did meet quite a few people who were interesting and fun to talk to, plus I met someone who may hire me to do some blogging for his company! All in all it was a good night.

1 comment:

  1. One of my cousins got married here two years ago! It's so elegant!

    ReplyDelete