Pages

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Day 28: No To Do List

My To Do notebook
I have a notebook full of lists of things that I think I need to do. Of course there are legitimate things I "need" to do like client work and items that I think will help me get where I want to go with my business. There are also things I write down on my list that would be good or nice to do, but are not really priority. My problem, though, is that sometimes I believe that everything is a priority. As much as this notebook helps me stay somewhat organized and allows me to dump all my ideas on paper, it also stresses me out sometimes.

I recently heard Pam Thomas talk about how she doesn't really like setting goals or working off a To Do list. Instead she likes to do what she feels inspired to do in the moment. The idea is that when you're feeling good and feeling energized in everything you do, somehow eventually all the things that really need to be done will get done.

I've already tried this challenge of not having a To Do list for the day. I would leave my To Do notebook at home while I go to the coffee shop to work, but then end up pulling up Notepad and creating a mini list on my computer. Habits do die hard!

Today I was really tempted to create a list when my mind couldn't seem to focus. I would be working on one thing, but my mind kept wandering to other projects and tasks that I wanted to do. That's when I stopped, took a deep breath, and grounded myself in the moment. I had to tell myself a few times, Everything that needs to get done will get done...Everything that needs to get done will get done. Just enjoy what you're doing now.

1 comment: