Pages

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Day 24: No Negative Thoughts

Quote by Confucius

Being at home sick isn't exactly a great situation, so I took it as a challenge to spend the day observing my thoughts and to not let negative thoughts in. It's been said that people have thousands of thoughts per day, and as much as I like to think that I'm a very positive person, I know I have negative thinking lurking in the background at times.

It's interesting because when I started to be aware of my thoughts, I became more mindful of what I was doing in the moment. I also became aware that I had this song I heard on the radio playing over and over in my mind!

As I was making my afternoon tea, though, I accidentally dropped the box of tea on the floor. I caught myself thinking, "You're such a clutz!" I had to stop and ask myself, "Really? Do you really think you are a clutz?" I think if I wasn't being aware of my thoughts, that negative thinking would have slipped by unnoticed and programmed itself into my subconscious.

After that incident, I became super aware of my thoughts, which actually diminished most of my thoughts. Funny how that works!

1 comment:

  1. “What a liberation to realize that the “voice in my head” is not who I am. Who am I then? The one who sees that.”
    ― Eckhart Tolle, A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose

    ReplyDelete