Pages

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Day 19: Saying "No" to a Furry Friend

I am a sucker when it comes to my friends' and family's dogs. I baby them,  and when they whine or whimper, I give in to what they want. I don't have any pets of my own, so that's how I am. Cory and I even got into a huge fight once because I spoil my parents' dogs.

I often wonder if I would be the same way with my future kids or pets. I hope not because I would not want them to grow to be spoiled brats like some of my friends' kids.

So this weekend I'm dog sitting my friend's little Chihuahua named Daisy. She's the cutest little dog, and I have a hard time saying "No" to her. When I'm eating at the table she'll beg for food and I'll give it to her.

I watch that show Dog Whisperer, and I know that what I'm doing is wrong, so today I decided it was time to set boundaries. Instead of letting Daisy sit on my lap as I drove, I put her in the crate. When she would whine, I would tell her, "No" and be very stern with her. I admit I was close to letting her out of her crate, but I knew that I needed to learn how to say "No" and mean it. 

At the end of the day, I heard this voice in my mind say, "This is your practice for when you have kids!!"

Eeek.

1 comment:

  1. It's good that you're learning to create healthy boundaries for the dog now. Kids definitely need them!

    ReplyDelete