Pages

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Day 37: Play In the Rain + Other Firsts


My friend's daughter, Roxie (name has been changed to protect her privacy), and I were on our way to Chollas Lake when the raindrops started falling. If I had been by myself, I would have turned right around and went home to hibernate.

"Yay! It's raining!"


The excitement in Roxie's voice pushed me on. I really, really didn't want to go, but I didn't want to disappoint her because she had been asking me about going to the lake for the past couple days.

As we got closer to the lake, I started to warm up to the idea of playing in the rain. Oh, I haven't done that since I was a kid! We played for about five minutes in the playground area, then walked down by the lake where I sat on the wood bench to breathe in the fresh air and watch the ducks enjoying the rain. I closed my eyes and took in the moment...




I really needed that! With my friend in the hospital, I've been taking care of Roxie, which has been a bit exhausting. I forget how curious kids are (Questions! Questions!) and how much they want to create and go on adventures.

Today she made homemade vanilla ice cream (thanks to YouTube), which was my first time eating homemade ice cream. It was actually pretty good!


You can find out how Roxie made the ice cream in her first post on this blog. It was my first time teaching a 10-year-old how to blog, and she picked it up pretty quick. I'm not surprised, though. She can create impressive Powerpoint-like presentations on her iPhone using the Keynote app.

Roxie also had the movie Titanic on her phone, so I watched part of it, which was my first time ever watching the movie.  She also made peanut butter smoothies - another first for me!

Moral of the story: If you want to experience more firsts and adventures, hang out with a 10-year-old! 

3 comments:

  1. I've got to try this too!
    The last time I played in the rain was when I was 8.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.edisproduction.de/2014/02/05/a-little-girl-experiences-rain-for-the-very-first-time/

    ReplyDelete