Pages

Friday, January 3, 2014

January 3rd - first time to comment on public video

I love TED Talks because they showcase people who are not willing to live with the status quo and are pushing the envelope in their particular fields.  This year in at TEDx San Diego a speaker offered his opinion that TED talks are a waste of time and cynical and instead we need to jump into the mud (not sure what he meant by this comment because he did not offer an alternative choice other than to not have TED Talks).

Here is a link to the talk by Benjamin Bratton:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo5cKRmJaf0#action=share




Benjamin Bratton is an Associate Professor of Visual Arts (among other things) at UC San Diego.  Here are my comments on his talk:

"So according to Benjamin Bratton TED is a placebo, TED is cynical and we all need to get into the mud.  Through the years I have encountered numerous cynics such as Benjamin Bratton who write about all that is wrong but offers solutions like we all need to get in the mud.  Choosing to stay above the fray as an intellectual writing and talking about why everyone's effort at TED is a waste of our time isn't particularly useful. 

Leaves me wondering why if TED is such a waste of time Benjamin Bratton found the need to participate.  In this I agree with him - he has wasted my time."

So far I have 7 thumbs up and no thumbs down.  I will comment more often on stories or videos.

I just did a search for "Benjamin Bratton" in Google and my comment showed up in the number 2 slot on the first page:


Not what I intended but pretty powerful result.  Was not my intention to disparage him - I just wanted to join in the conversation about the video.  I hope it will go away in a short period of time.



No comments:

Post a Comment