Pages

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Day 33: Stay in the Moment

Most humans are never fully present in the now, because unconsciously they believe that the next moment must be more important than this one. But then you miss your whole life, which is never not now.
--Eckhart Tolle

After reading Eckhart Tolle's book, The Power of Now, awhile back, I've worked on being present in the moment. There are times throughout the day when I am in the moment, but the worker bee in me is also present reminding me that there is a To Do list and things to accomplish.


Today I challenged myself to stay present in the now for the whole day. There was about 2-3 times when my mind started to wander to the future and thinking about what needs to be done this week and thinking whether or not I should do this or that. I did catch myself and was able to draw myself back into the present. It was a pretty big challenge, especially at this time on a Sunday night when I'm usually sitting down with my To Do notebook and writing down my list for the week.

I cooked breakfast, lunch, and dinner today, which offered me the opportunity to really be aware and present. Usually when I'm preparing a meal my mind wanders all over the place - thinking about my friends, who I should call, and other worldly concerns. As I cooked today, I stayed in the moment, offering gratitude for the food and really enjoying the process. The fridge was full of food after going grocery shopping yesterday, so I looked at all of it with appreciation.

Tonight Cory and I watched the movie, Last Vegas, and usually there will be a moment in a movie that triggers a memory from the past, which makes my mind wander. However, this time I was able to really watch the movie and be fully present. I think what might have helped was that I took a short nap this evening (the Superbowl game put me to sleep!), so my mind was fresh.  

No comments:

Post a Comment