Pages

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Day 5: "Ok, I'll Wait Until Next Time"

I wanted today's first to happen spontaneously. I did have something in mind in case nothing happened, but I had a feeling something would come up.

Cory and I went to the grocery store to pick up a few things, and there was a little boy about 4-years-old with his mother next to us in the deli aisle. The boy was eyeing those Lunchables. He asked his mom if he could buy them. The mom had started to walk away, so I didn't hear what she said, but I did hear the boy's reply...

"Ok, I'll wait until next time."

He said it like it was no big deal. He didn't cry, grumble, or pout. His mom and I both looked at him and smiled. Then we looked at each other knowing we had just witnessed a very rare thing in this era of we-want-it-now-and-we're-not-taking-no-for-an-answer.

I had to stop and think if I had ever heard a little kid happily say, "I'll wait until next time." Could this be a first? Yup, I think so...

Another first that happened today is that I walked my friend's dogs at night. She's away on vacation right now, and I've been walking the dogs during the day for the last few weeks that she has been gone. I was doing a lot of errands today, so the walk didn't happen until after the sun went down.

It was a really nice walk because the air was crisp - not too chilly - and all the stars were twinkling. I stopped and took a deep breath as I enjoyed the stars, grateful to live in a place like San Diego...

No comments:

Post a Comment